Christie's to offer the collection of celebrated interior designer Christopher Hodsoll
Date: 15 Aug 2014 | | Views: 1425
LONDON - On 9 & 10 September 2014 Christie’s South Kensington will offer the first part of the collection of celebrated interior designer Christopher Hodsoll within the sale of Interiors. The second part of the collection will be featured on the 16 September within the sale of Interiors – Style & Spirit. Christopher Hodsoll, antique dealer and interior designer, is well known for his English country house taste in antique furniture and is widely admired for creating striking interiors that blend numerous classical references with the rare and unusual. Over the past 30 years Hodsoll has created interiors for clients such as the Rothschild family, Edmund and Lily Safra, the Duke of Edinburgh, Charles Saatchi and Mick Jagger. In partnership with Lulu Lytle, Hodsoll formed the design company Soane, producing perfectly-scaled furniture, lighting and accessories with a classical inspiration, all made to a high quality in the United Kingdom. The collection features 155 lots spanning the 18th to 20th centuries with estimates ranging from £500 to £10,000.
Highlights of the collection include a George II grey painted console table with an exceptionally finely carved side (estimate: £10,000-15,000), two pairs of pale oak and ebony bookcases with mirror inserts in the manner of Sir John Soane, inspired by the bookcases in his breakfast room at Lincolns Inn Fields (estimate: £2,000-3,000 per lot), and a fine extending dining table in the manner of Robert Jupe (estimate: £10,000-15,000).
• A white bust of a youth with grapes and leaves Estimate: £2,000-3,000
• A parrot painted by a follower of Jakob Bogdani Estimate: £1,000-1,500
• A large pair of gilt-bronze mounted malachite veneered urns Estimate: £8,000-12,000
• A pair of glass, copper and steel ‘Olympia’ wall appliques by Mark Brazier-Jones Estimate: £1,500-2,000
• Two pairs of Pale oak and Ebony Bookcases with mirror inserts in the manner of Sir John Soane (two shown) Estimate: £2,000-3,000 (per lot)
• A George II grey painted side table Estimate: £10,000-15,000